Any guy who has been lifting for a few years likely wonders what their natural potential is at some point or another. Luckily, there are a few calculations that can give you a rough estimate. The simplest two include:
- The Berkhan Model
- Height (cm) – 100 = stage weight (~5% bodyfat)
- Therefore someone who is 180cm would be expected to weigh 80kg at their natural limits at what would be considered stage level lean.
- Fat Free Mass Index (FFMI)
- Find the online calculator at the bottom of this post, as the calculation is a little more complex
- General limit has been put at a value of 25
They’re not fool proof, as can be seen that some bodybuilders in the era prior to steroids have exceeded the limits of these calculations. However, these were winners of national or international level bodybuilding competition and therefore can likely be regarded as genetically elite alongside many years of effective training. If you’re interested in other calculations that have been used, find below an excellent article by Greg Nuckols that explains some more in depth.
Greg Nuckols – Your Drug-Free Muscle and Strength Potential: Part 1